Best Waterproof Work Boots For 2017
When you are looking for work shoes, then you should have an option which provides both comfort as well as durability. The shoe that you choose needs to be reasonably priced. Leather tends to be more durable in a work boot than it does in a tennis shoe. For many companies, work boots are required with specifications such as oil and slip resistant. And while you could go out and get a cheap pair of boots, it is more beneficial (both to your comfort and to your wallet) to have the best waterproof work boots. Here are 5 of the best waterproof workboots that we think are worth consideration.
Timberland Pro is an established brand of leather shoes which typically have a blend of leather and insulation materials. It is not uncommon to find nubuck leather shoe options, or to have a soft leather aesthetic and feel, even though the actual construction of the boot is made from a thicker gauge. The Timberland Pro Direct Attach 6” Steel Safety Toe Waterproof Insulated Boot comes in 6 different color configurations. These are brown, tan, black, wheat, and after dark full grain. Customers have stated that the insulation provides for a blister free, break in free boot, an essential if you are purchasing the waterproof boot for working.
- The sole of the boot is quite durable and thick. Wear on the boot does not seem to affect the tread considerably, a statement to the quality of the binding of the boot to the leather as well as to the grade of rubber used.
- Leather has a great longevity of use. Some customers have stated that they have been able to get 2.5 to 3 years of use from a single pair of shoes. Others have stated the lifespan at 1.5 to 2 years. Either way, it is extremely long for a pair of boots to last.
- Insulation keeps the warm in during the winter but is not overpowering during the warm months making the boot appropriate for all weather conditions.
- Some of the soles on the Timberland Boosts have become unglued after a few months of use, per customer reviews. This problem is generally seen in the back heel portion of the shoe.
- The steel toe insulation may press out of the insulation after some wear causing discomfort to the wearer
- The tread has been shown to split in half on some pairs. In cases where this has occurred, the company has replaced the shoe.
These best waterproof work boots cheaper than some of the alternatives on the market, but for a good reason. They are not 100% genuine leather. The sole is made from synthetic materials. The sides and other portions of the shoe are made from genuine leather. While this may seem a bit offsetting, the synthetic material on the sole helps to add to the waterproofing of the Dickies Men’s Challenger Waterproof Work Boot. As the boot is a intended for the working man, PU shock absorbent materials have been added. Additionally, the boot has oil and slip TPU on the outsole.
- Boots are available in a number of different sizes including some of those which are harder to find in competitor’s brands. And while you would expect such sizes to add substantially to the cost of the work boot, they remain one of the cheapest solutions on the market.
- Built to last. The material and leather combination has been reported to be that of “military grade” type boots by customers.
- The boot typically conforms to the requirements for warehouse and industrial workman clothing, meaning that they are oil and slip resistant as well as waterproof
- The boots are not 100% genuine leather. The synthetics of the sole as a result are more susceptible to cuts and abrasions then genuine leather would be. Longevity of life may be effected in high stress work environments.
- The non-slip feature has had issues on concrete and wet tile as well as metal. Granted, the level of water and oil on the surface plays a great deal into the slip or non-slippage, customers should be aware that there may be some limitations to the traction of the shoe.
- Customers have complained that the cushioning is not sufficient to give high levels of comfort.
- Alternative methods may be required for the cleaning of the leather and the cleaning of the synthetic leather as these are two different materials. Customers should be aware that the toe is apt to wear out before the actual shoe and that should something fall upon the synthetic steel toe, that denting and deformation of the shoe is more prone to happen than in genuine leather.
Steel boots are usually required in industries which have heavy equipment, such as vehicle manufacturing plants. Commercial companies which deal with corrosive materials may also require a steel toe boot such as the Rocky Men’s Mobilite Six inch steel toe work boot. Unlike other boots offered, the Rocky boot has a lower ankle height. It is not a tennis shoe, by any means, but it does not have that standard “boot” design. This is more of a casual work boot in terms of design. Flexible insulation on the top back of the boot contributes more to this.
- Constructed with full grain leather with small tight stitching. The construction is professionally done and customers have not had complaints on the binding of the leather.
- The toe box is wide and oblique reducing the probability of having the steel from the steel toe press against the foot. Insulation on the inner sole further minimizes discomfort from the steel toe.
- Low maintenance cleaning and care of the boot makes them a pull on and go solution ideal for those with limited time to allot to the care and maintenance. It is recommended that you clean and condition periodically to increase the life of the shoe even though it does not require such daily.
- The oblique toe may not be substantial enough to accommodate larger feet. And while those with regular sized feet will find that there is a bit of space between the foot and the steel, customers have complained that the spacing is not substantial and that rubbing can occur against the plate.
- The heaviness of the shoe has been reported by some wearers to cause discomfort in waking and in the hips. This may be a result of an existing condition, if you consistently find discomfort with steel toe work boots try inserts.
- The laces on the boots are rather flimsy and have a tendency to break. While the boot is constructed well, you will need to have a replacement set of laces to keep them on your feet as the standards are thin and fray/cut easily during wear.
A bit more eclectic then the standard black and brown or monotone best waterproof work boots leather boot, the KEEN Utility Men’s Pittsburgh Steel Toe Work Boot sports red or yellow highlighting to the design. This is done in both the rubber sole of the boot as well as in the insulation of the boot. The leather on the boot tends to be tri tone in construction meaning that the toe and the lower sides are one color, the upper ankle area is another (usually black or grey) and the insert is the highlight color. Those needing a low level of leather but still need to have waterproofing and steel toe to meet job specifications may find this boot suitable.
- More stylish than the traditional work boot. It has more of a tennis shoe and sports boot than it does of a work boot.
- Customers have stated that the boots are very comfortable as well as functional. The boot has been compared to red wings and other top brands in the market regarding their durability. Additionally, those which have worn the work boot have stated that the waterproofing is substantial.
- The heel is thick resulting in a slow wearing down on the sole of the shoe. Those which work for 12-16 hours a day have stated that the boot holds up exceptionally well.
- Multiple materials have a higher tendency to fray and become un-stitched due to the connectivity between the various materials. As such, there have been a few cases where the seams have become lose or stitching has become undone.
- While the boot is waterproof, some have pointed out that the fabrics on the boot are less than ideal and have even retained water and moisture.
- While stylish in design, there have been several complaints that the insulation is not comfortable at all. Workers have stated that the boot may be more suited for leisure and hiking than for the day to day work environment.
Obviously, the major draw for these waterproof work boots is the claim for superior dryness. The company is so confident in their claim that they offer a 30 day waterproof money back warranty. From a work boot design, the Ever Boots “Ultra Dry” Men’s Premium Leather Waterproof Work boots are fairly standard. There is the high rubber backing on the heel, the black fabric on the ankle, and the breathable insulation on the interior. The boot is ideal for heavy construction as well as farming and other outdoor activities.
- Substantial arch support minimizes the risk of pain on the back and legs. For those who are consistently on their feet and lifting throughout the day, this is a key feature to have in your work boots.
- Breathable insulation keeps the foot well padded while at the same time allowing for the foot to remain cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
- The boot is primarily leather lending to a longer lifespan than some of the other boots composed of multiple materials and glue configurations.
- Dyes in the shoe remain strong over time, even when the shoe has been subjected to water and to UVs which have a tendency to minimize the effects of dye in leather shoes.
- Perforated insulation material has a tendency to capture smells and moisture. It is recommended that you use a cleaner and treatment on the interior of the shoe regularly to minimize bacterium and odor.
- Boots have shown to be ill fitted for those doing a great deal of walking. They may cause blisters on the feet. This is especially true if the boot is worn for hiking purposes. General working situations showed less irritation to the foot, but customers have still complained that they are not the most comfortable shoe.
- The insulation is rather thin in some sections. The waterproofing has shown to be lacking. Some have stated that the waterproofing is non-existent. Those working in jobs where water and condensation are an issue may wish to seek an alternative.
A note about waterproof shoes
Waterproofing on shoes generally is a combination on the leather and the coating used on the leather. As such, it is best that the purchaser of the waterproof shoe treat the boot with the proper cleaner and coating to increase the functionality of the boot. For the best results, ensure that you have your foot sized before purchasing your water proof boot. While you may be a size 13 in one brand, you could be a size 12 ½ in another brand. Boots should be picked according to the profession and strain that you will put upon the shoe. If you have questions regarding the various leathers which are used in work boots, contact your local leather artisan for information and advice on which leather shoe would be appropriate to meet your needs